Stock and Option Charting
On the Chart Page, view streaming real time charts1 with a full complement of powerful studies to choose from. Many features within Charts are customizable, providing a unique experience based on your trading preferences.
Accessing the Chart Page
- Click the Chart button found under the Trading tab.
Navigating the Chart Page
At the top of the Chart page are several fields related to the Chart: Drawings, Studies, Range and Frequency.
- Drawings allow you to show or hide drawings. This also allows you to delete some or all drawings on the selected chart. To change what drawings are displayed, click the Drawings drop down.
- Studies allow you to select upper or lower indicators for the chart as well as show or hide functionality. To add a study to the chart, click on Studies drop down and choose Select.
A popup window will appear allowing you to select and customize studies:
Upper Studies — select a study by clicking the Add button to the right of the study title.
Lower Studies — select a study by clicking the Add button to the right of the study title.
Study Description — hover over a study for a detailed explanation of the study.
Selected Studies — displays all of the indicators you have selected.
Study Parameters — allows a user to customize the study once it is in the selected studies display.
- Range gives you the ability to select a time range for the chart from 1 hour to 20 years. To change the time range for the chart, click the Range drop down.
- Frequency gives you the ability to select the time range of each bar or candle. To adjust the time range for each bar or candle, click the Frequency drop down.
Moving down into the Quote display you will find the following abilities: Quote Header, Thumbnail Display and Hot Ticket.
- Quote Header displays additional quote details and can be found by clicking on the Expand button, on the far left of the quote bar.
- Thumbnail Display provides additional information such as quote data, time & sales figures and depth of view of the current market for the symbol. To access, click the Thumbnail button in the Quote Header.
- Hot Ticket is a quick order entry expansion that displays quick Buy, Sell and Close buttons along with other items that can be preset to your preferences. To access, click the Hot Ticket button next to the Quote Header. Hot Ticket panels are also found next to each quote throughout the application.
Modifying the Chart display
Below the Quote display, you can find the Chart display. Here you can change the following: Style, Cursor, Display, Horizontal Padding and Vertical Padding.
- Style allows you to change the chart display. The available styles are Candle Sticks, Line, Area, Bar and Heikin Ashi. To change the style of the chart, click the Style drop down.
- Cursor allows you to select various types of drawings. The available drawings are Trendlines, Support/Resistance, Channel, Fibonacci Levels, Prediction, Text, Markers and Labels. To change the type of drawings, click the Cursor drop down.
- Display gives you the ability to add in additional filters. To modify, click the Display button, which launches a popup window with multiple selections:
Earnings/Dividends/Splits — shows historical and upcoming events at the top of the chart.
Volume Chart — adds a volume chart to the bottom of the display.
Volatility Chart — adds a volatility chart to the bottom of the display.
Extended Hours — displays extended hours trade data to any chart.
Trades — adds indicators that show when equity or option trades were placed.
Interactive Zoom — allows you to customize the range and frequency of the chart.
Open Cost Basis — displays an overlay showing where a trade is profitable or not profitable.
Compare — displays the performance of a symbol against an index or another symbol.
Tooltips — displays the title and price or study data in different ways.
- Horizontal Padding is located at the top right corner of the chart. This option gives you the ability to add future bars to the chart from the last quote. To modify, click the Horizontal Padding drop down.
- Vertical Padding is located at the top right corner of the chart. This option gives you the ability to add vertical size to the chart in percentage terms. To modify, click the Vertical Padding drop down.
- Once the chart settings and studies are setup they will remain saved until you make a change. For additional information about charts, click on the Help icon found at the top right corner of the chart display.